Google’s Guatam Gandhi took home the top prize at the Rice University Business Plan Competition in 2004. He talks to Fortune about the startup climate in the U.S., the value of business plan competitions, and what aspiring entrepreneurs ought to know.
Interview by Anne VanderMey, reporter
FORTUNE — In the booming B-school business plan competition circuit, aspiring entrepreneurs from top schools go head-to-head for real funding. This week, Fortune is in Houston at the Rice Business Plan Competition, the largest and richest of its kind in the world. Also at Rice this year is Gautam Gandhi, Google’s (GOOG) head of new business development in India. Gandhi, who is serving as a competition judge at Rice, has been through the ringer at this competition, taking home the contest’s top prize in 2004. His winning company, ClearCount Medical Solutions, tracks the use of surgical instruments in the operating room. It’s still in business today.
As a two-time startup founder with a finger on the pulse of the venture scene in the U.S. and abroad, Gandhi spoke to Fortune about the startup climate, his takeaway from the Rice competition, and how to make sure your pitch wows the judges — or investors.
Fortune: What do you think about the startup landscape in the U.S. right now, and how does that compare to what you’re seeing in India?
Guatam Gandhi: I think that, as Americans, we’re really spoiled. We don’t realize how lucky we are. We complain about bias, discrimination, etc. But you go into these other countries? I’ll show you what discrimination looks like. I’ll show you what freedom of speech means [when you don't have it].
In this country, it’s unbelievable. It’s so much easier to start a company here than anywhere else. Anyone could start a company here if they wanted to. Your biggest obstacle is yourself. It’s getting the confidence and getting the courage to do it. And that’s what’s great about these business plan competitions. To be honest, I don’t think we would have started our own company if we didn’t win the competition. It gave us, I’m call going to call it a false sense of confidence. It didn’t really mean anything, but when it won it, we thought, ‘Oh, we’re the best. We can do this.’
How did the business plan you presented at Rice hold up in the marketplace? Did everything go according to plan?
No, it did not go according to plan, but the product was pretty close. We built this medical device that tracks surgical sponges and instruments. We changed the actual technology of it, but not fundamentally. Everything else about the business plan competition — when you’re going to get your first million dollars of revenue, how many millions you’ll have — is always completely wrong. It’s always wrong. It’s like if I asked you, ‘Hey, why don’t you write out your life plan for the next 10 years?’ Things change along the way.
But the difference between a good entrepreneur and a bad entrepreneur is that, first, a good entrepreneur never gives up. Second, he changes very, very quickly when he realizes that something is going wrong. A bad entrepreneur says, ‘No, no. This is gonna work. This is gonna work. This is gonna work.’ He doesn’t realize that it’s not working. The right response is to say, ‘It’s not working. That’s ok, but let’s fix it.’ I don’t think anything in life goes according to plan.
What do you know now that you wish you’d known when you were a Rice competitor?
That’s a trick question. The real answer — the true answer — is that if I knew what I know now, I would never have started a company. That naiveté is actually your biggest asset. It’s actually what you don’t know that gives you that false sense of courage that you’re indestructible and invincible.
You say, ‘I won’t spend THAT many late nights working on this company.’?
Or, ‘We’ll just call our first customer and he’s gonna buy from us.’ Later, you realize it’s really hard. And that’s why I think that when you get older, you’re less and less likely to be an entrepreneur because you just know how hard it’s going to be. I would say, if anything, I wish I’d started earlier. Because you have less to lose. People say, ‘Oh you don’t have experience.’ But what you actually don’t have is a house and a car payment.
Do you have any advice for the competitors?
Relax and have fun. If you’re really, really tense and not having fun, in the room we can feel it. We feel the tension, and we’re just bracing ourselves. Tell a story. We see so many business plans here, but as human beings we remember stories. If someone tells you the story of how they started and what the problem is they’re trying to solve, that always resonates.
What about advice for when they’re really starting the business?
Make sure you have a really good team. If I had to say something to an entrepreneur, it would be that your idea is not actually as important as your team. You shouldn’t be the smartest guy in the room, and you should be comfortable with that. The team is really the most important thing.
When you went through the competition, was the feedback you got from the judges helpful?
Helpful for winning the competition or running the business? It’s two different things. It was definitely helpful for winning the competition. That pitch that I perfected every day, I actually ended up using the same pitch when I got real investors.
Basically, what you learn is how to tell a good story in 15 minutes. I was coaching a team earlier today and I told them, ‘What you’re doing right now is you’re showing a trailer to a film and you want the guy to come to the film. If this is your trailer, is he interested in watching the film or not? That’s it. You have 15 minutes.’
If you can’t tell a convincing story, you’re done. You don’t get the second date. It’s like speed dating, and you want to get to the real date. For that, it helped.
- Employment News Paper 5 May | Search and Read PDF Online ... May 20, 2013Find and Read Employment News Paper 5 May free Download, ...www.glembook.com/pdf/employment-news-paper-5-may.html […](author unknown)
- Fast-food workers in Detroit walk off job, disrupt business ... May 16, 2013Visit Crain's Chicago Business for business news and analysis related to the ever -changing employment picture in Illinois and the U.S..www.chicagobusiness.com/.../fast-food-workers-in-detroit-wal... […](author unknown)
- Chicago Best Places to Work, Workplace Features, Employment ... May 16, 2013Find the best places to work in Chicago and why employees think so along with ... Best local business news – essential to doing business in Chicago; Lists, data ...www.chicagobusiness.com/section/ISSUE02?date=20130511 […](author unknown)
- Cruise Ship Employment
- Earn Income At Home
- Employment Advice On Videos
- Employment Web Sites
- Hazardous Materials Removal?
- How To Become A Bounty Hunter
- How To Get Through An Interview
- How To Start A Carpet Cleaning Business
- How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
- Interesting Links
- Pool Cleaning Business
- Self Employment Loan
- Self-Employment Ideas That Worked!
- Summer Vacation Jobs
- Technical & Vocational School Directory
- The Complete Guide To Working For Yourself
- Typing Jobs
- Window Washing Business
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Artical builder component - oDesk May 21, 2013Add fonctionalety to articlebuilder custom component Here is a list o what i want Select a user from dropdown for created_by (set that user for all new artical created) Set teh securety for the new artical (access) Ste the language for all new artical created Ser a date to start publishing the artical or a date + 1 for posting multyple artical. What i meen i […]
- RoR developer needed! - oDesk May 21, 2013I have a medium sized project that is approximately 70% completed for launch at the moment. I need somebody with extensive knowledge and experience with RoR, and SQL, as my database will be pretty robust. Would prefer somebody in my timezone (Central GMT -6)+/- 2-3hrs max, and that speaks english / spanish. This project has long term potential, as its divide […]
- Online Drivers Education - oDesk May 21, 2013I am looking to create an online drivers education course for a client of mine. sample websites: http://www.driversed.com/ http://www.wlecomedriver.com Basically i need someone who can gather and manage a team to take the CA DMV learners guide and convert into an online study guide. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htmBudget: $1000Starting […]
- Zoho CRM Expert - oDesk May 21, 2013I'm looking for a Zoho CRM expert to help with an urgent project. To apply, please respond to the following questions: 1. How many hours are you available in the next week? (requirement: minimum 20) 2. Have you worked with SocketApp (quoting system that integrates with Zoho CRM) before? (ideal: yes) 3. Have you worked with ClickDesk (live chat system th […]
- PHP HTML CSS Developer - oDesk May 21, 2013I need a quick fix for a submission forms page that is already created but the layout of two form fields are not presenting properly in all browsers.Budget: $10Starting On: May 21, 2013Ending On: May 21, 2013Posted On: May 21, 2013 02:02 UTCID: 202561621Category: Web Development > Web ProgrammingSkills: css,html,phpCountry: United StatesHours Billed: 386. […]
- Small website tweaks - oDesk May 21, 2013Hello, I'm looking for a quick, fast professional website programmer to fix 2 things in my website: Add a signup newsletter form, re design it. Design a pop up form that I have, fix a height and width in a slider, This needs to be done asap. As you can see it's not a tough task, please apply. Looking for serious contractor that work fast, and profe […]
- Zoho CRM Expert - oDesk May 21, 2013Looking for a Zoho CRM expert who can answer questions and assist in customization.Starting On: May 21, 2013Ending On: Posted On: May 21, 2013 01:40 UTCID: 202561574Category: Web Development > Web ProgrammingSkills: zoho-crmCountry: United StatesHours Billed: 4336click to apply […]
- Rails, MongoDB, Redis, Metrics and Performance - oDesk May 21, 2013Do you love Ruby, Rails, MongoDB, and Redis? Do you like to track every detail of how users interact with an application as well as track the performance and health of your infrastructure? We are looking for an engineer experienced in these areas to help us scale out our Rails infrastructure: Instrument metrics and monitoring throughout our application Find […]
- Quick Fix PHP config or .htaccess problem - oDesk May 21, 2013This is a one hour task. If you can't do this in 15 minutes, don't bother applying. If you offer a bid higher than I have indicated, or try to convince me otherwise, I will delete your bid. I have moved a client's application to another server, and I am having one small problem. It is either a single error in a configuration file, or an .htacc […]
- Need WordPress Custom Code Tweak - oDesk May 21, 2013I am looking for someone who can tweak my WordPress site to let me use a semicolon instead of a comma as a delimiter for my tags. I found code online that only partially works. This code - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12480796/gettext-filter-for-tag-delimiter-not-working - gets it working on the Tags page in the Dashboard, but not when I go to make a n […]
- Dolphin Module Creation - oDesk May 21, 2013I have a task that requires knowledge of Dolphin, PHP and MySQL. Ultimately require a Calendar Booking System. Users will select a time on their calender on their profile page that is connected with their training organization profile page. More details on request.Starting On: May 21, 2013Ending On: Posted On: May 21, 2013 01:05 UTCID: 202561489Category: Web […]
- PHP Developer - Twilio, Google Maps, Stripe.com Guru - oDesk May 21, 2013Need the following punch list done for my site, Trackjoy.com Stripe Test and ensure Stripe.com integration works for subscriptions and taking payments. Ensure the billing functions on the setting page do in face work. Notifications Two fold system (Freeium / Premimum: If a user is paid and the subscription is active and in good standing then the user can tra […]
- Expert Coder for continuous projects - oDesk May 21, 2013Design a clean mini site (6-8 pages) for our main site to include functionality flow from sign up button to including a squeeze page with free monthly lessons/ choose language/ insert email Must match look and feel of the general theme. Skills necessary are: Able to integrate existing site to make sure all functions and customized plugins are working Fix any […]
- Program Coder/ Innovative Thinker - oDesk May 21, 2013I am in need of a talented, innovative programmer who is able to bring my new feature to life. To complete this task you should be skilled in the following areas: 1) API integration: I will be using a search feature that ties multiple sites together, some of these sites offer API's. 2) Site Crawling Program: For the few sites that don't offer API […]
- Ruby on Rails Online Trading Platform. - oDesk May 21, 2013We are looking a developer to build a betting exchanger, similar to an online trading platform using ruby on rails. It would be a sports betting platform like Betfair. We are looking for a high scale and professional platform that could be able to handle hundreds of users trading simultaneously with the platform intact. This is a medium term project. You may […]
- Joomla to Wordpress - oDesk May 21, 2013I have a website in Joomla 1.5 I need it to be migrated to the latest version of wordpress. I will also need some minor fixes done after the website is moved.Budget: $50Starting On: May 21, 2013Ending On: May 30, 2013Posted On: May 21, 2013 00:38 UTCID: 202561429Category: Web Development > Web ProgrammingSkills: joomla,web-content-management,wordpressCoun […]
- Ruby On Rails Real Estate RETS & API Powered Site - oDesk May 21, 2013I need an expert in Ruby on Rails that is familiar with building real estate search systems and integrating RETS & API data.Budget: $3500Starting On: May 21, 2013Ending On: June 30, 2013Posted On: May 21, 2013 00:23 UTCID: 202561384Category: Web Development > Web ProgrammingSkills: api-development,real-estate-idx,rets,ruby-on-railsCountry: United Stat […]
- To Do Task Manager for Insurance Agency - oDesk May 20, 2013I would like a simple Task manager that is customized to the insurance industry. I would like it to be written in Ruby on Rails (preferably 4). This will be an ongoing project, so if your work is great, I would like to work with you adding features. Right now, I want a minimum viable product with the following features: 1) have user and Admin accounts with l […]
- need a embeddable html5 video chat system made - oDesk May 20, 2013I need a simple flash/html5 video chat system created I should be able to create a video chat and then embed it on my site. Please note I do not want text chat for this I have my own text chats for my site the way i want them.I simply want a chat that resizes based on the amount of users and will allow 25 broadcasters at once and unlimited viewersStarting On […]
- Anonymous on Interesting Links
- Anonymous on Interesting Links
- Anonymous on Interesting Links
- Anonymous on Interesting Links
- Anonymous on Personality development – Tips for creating a good first impression